Alexander Law Firm Co., LPA
A Legal Professional Association



What is a Dissolution of Marriage

A Dissolution of Marriage is one way to terminate a marriage. A marriage may be dissolved when the parties have reached a complete settlement on all issues relating to property, support and parenting.  

Can we both be represented by the same Attorney?

Absolutely not, an attorney can only represent one party. In some instances, however, one party will retain a lawyer and the other party will not. If this occurs, the party who is not represented will be required to waive their right to counsel and also acknowledge that they have the option to seek independent legal advice. Typically, both parties are represented by counsel, particularly when there are substantial assets and/or parenting issues to be resolved.

Is a Dissolution faster and less expensive than a Divorce?

It is a common belief that a Dissolution is faster and therefore less expensive than a Divorce. This is not necessarily the case and depends on the particular facts and circumstances surrounding the marriage.

Whether negotiating a Dissolution or a Divorce, property must be identified and valued, documents obtained and parenting issues resolved. Only after both parties have fully disclosed all assets, valued the same and resolved parenting issues can a Petition for Dissolution be filed. Often, many months can elapse while the parties exchange information and negotiate. As a result, dissolution is not necessarily a faster and less expensive means to terminate a marriage than is divorce.

How long does a Dissolution take?

This is a difficult question. As the last question discussed, the length of time necessary to negotiate the dissolution can last many months depending upon the issues in dispute. Once the Dissolution is filed, however, a final hearing will be scheduled no fewer than thirty days and no more than ninety days from the date of the filing.

Can I get temporary orders while I am negotiating a Dissolution?

No. Because there are no court proceedings pending, there can be no temporary orders. All issues relating to support of the parties and the children, the children’s daily lives and schedules (schooling, extra-curricular activities, etc.) as well as decisions involving the parties marital property and financial affairs (household expenses, investments, etc.) must be done by agreement of the parties.

        Call Christopher M. Alexander at (513)228 - 1100

Website Builder